Combining COTS and custom software to support your business needs.
Our well-trained and highly-qualified staff are dedicated to understanding your business to best define your complex IT needs. We use leading-edge technologies in a CMM®-structured environment to provide efficient and effective solutions. These efforts are supported by state-of-the-art software development, testing, and information assurance laboratories to prototype and evaluate the potential benefits of new applications prior to deployment.
Count on Abacus Technology to:
- Work with you to correctly define your requirements
- Evaluate your current systems and architectures
- Define and evaluate solutions for moving forward
- Design and develop enterprise solutions using Internet/Intranet technology
- Migrate legacy applications and data
- Fully customize development of client/server applications
- Integrate your disparate solutions with data-sharing interfaces
- Design and develop complex database applications and data warehouses
- Develop information technology architectures (business, data, application, technical)
Our assignments may span only a small part of the development life cycle, or help you build a system from first steps to deployment. Throughout the life cycle, Abacus Technology operates at CMM® Level 2 using tested procedures, guidelines, and checklists to ensure the on-time delivery of quality products.
Abacus Technology can support your IT projects from first conception through implementation and maintenance. Our team of analysts, developers, database experts, and managers can bring the right skills to each phase of a system's life cycle including:
- Feasibility studies to determine realism of approach
- Requirements analysis, development, and documentation to ensure traceability and trackability
- Architecture analyses to assess the best target architecture
- Identification and evaluation of off-the-shelf products wherever possible
- Prototyping to help end-users validate and articulate needs
- Database design using current techniques and tools
- System design and development in a variety of environments using our software development lab for testing and demonstrations
- Testing traceable to requirements
- Legacy data analysis, scrubbing, and migration
- Deployment into your environment
- Training tailored to your users needs
- Preparation of high-quality documentation, especially user manuals and help systems
- On-going maintenance to track change requests/new requirements and ensure user satisfaction.
Our software development teams understand how difficult it is for people to visualize exactly what they want until they've seen it built. So we utilize a process that adheres to good software development practices and the CMM® , yet allows for some evolution of the requirements and iteration of the product.
Paramount to a good end product is a thorough understanding of the relevant business area and how the software must support it. Each step of the way, our team verifies that they're building the right system by:
- reviewing requirements with users
- discussing screen mock-ups
- providing design prototypes
- providing test code for experimenting.
We also strongly encourage building and implementing large systems in well-defined phases so that each step is a guaranteed success; the next step builds upon the last, incorporating lessons learned and providing a way to capture newly recognized requirements.
We use state-of-the-art methodologies to ensure that each step is as productive and accurate as possible. Requirements analysis may use the object-oriented approach of Rational's "use case", for example. Requirements are documented in text as well as captured in our requirements management system, each requirement phrased in accordance with industry best practices. The database design process similarly follows industry practices using a CASE tool to develop the logical data model and migrate it to the physical, and finally build the database itself. Software configuration management is applied throughout development, typically using a content management tool like Visual SourceSafe. Throughout testing, all changes and issues are entered into our change management system so that every problem or new requirement can be tracked to resolution.
Abacus Technology can support your enterprise information and decision support initiatives by designing and implementing a corporate or departmental data warehouse for information analysis.
Abacus Technology's data warehousing team can conduct a full life cycle effort that will move your warehousing initiative from a conceptual desire to a physical reality. Our professional design team can bring the right skills to each phase of the data warehousing life cycle including:
- Gathering all reporting and data requirements
- Analyzing legacy and client server data sources
- Designing the data warehouse database
- Mapping source data attributes to target data attributes
- Designing and developing the Extraction, Transformation, and Loading (ETL) program to move data from source to target
- Designing and developing all standard historical and drill-down reports
- Developing a corporate web site to support the data and reports
- Developing full complement of documentation from functional requirements documents through user and operational guides.
In addition, the Abacus Technology data warehouse analyst can assist in the accessibility of legacy applications. Sometimes, this involves moving from a traditional mainframe to client/server or web architecture.
Organizations are looking for ways to reduce costs and improve the accessibility of legacy applications. Sometimes, meeting this objective involves moving from a traditional mainframe to client/server or web architecture. Increasingly, it means moving from early client/server to web. Either way, Abacus Technology is prepared to assist throughout the process.
Abacus Technology can help you determine the right target architecture to meet your needs, business and technical. We investigate all factors that affect the right choice including:
- Geography of the user population
- Application characteristics
- Existing infrastructure
- Maintenance issues
- Available funding
- Degree of functional enhancement sought
- Time available
- Alignment with overall strategic plans.
Once the target architecture is decided, Abacus Technology can help you get there. We can re-engineer the legacy application or recreate it to meet today's business needs. Typically, this re-engineering is an opportunity to get rid of the problems your users have fought with and dealt with for years - we'll work with your team to design a new version of the system that does what users really want. Abacus Technology can redesign your database and migrate your data. We can rebuild or create anew the needed interfaces to other systems. Just as in any system development we do, we also support implementation, training, and maintenance.
When Abacus Technology is done, you'll even have useful, current system documentation - something that rarely exists with legacy applications!
Abacus Technology offers complete web design and development services for both public (Internet), private (Intranet), and collaborative (Extranet) sites. With extensive and effective web support experience on many Federal and commercial contracts, we can apply and tailor these solutions to your agency or business as well.
Representative examples of our support include:
- Redesign of EIA's Integrated State Energy Data Website to enhance presentation of fuel consumption and price information from multiple sources.
- Conducted evaluation of commercial content management systems for updating NARA's more than 20,000 webpages.
- Implemented and maintained Learning Page Website for the Library of Congress; National Digital Library Program.
- Developed a Knowledge Management Website to provide collaborative workspace for IRS' Office of Competitive Sourcing.
All work is performed in compliance with Sector 508 Guidelines and ADA as well as agency-specific standards.